So far I’ve:
– written about 24000 words
– changed the genre from horror/supernatural to mystery
– met a lot of characters I had no idea existed
– discovered I was writing a story-within-a-story
– had a few “aha” moments where the connections became clear
– had an equal number of “uh-oh” moments where I decided I didn’t like a thing I was writing
– reminded myself time and again that this is just a first draft.
I don’t have to finish this book, but I want to. The thing about NaNoWriMo for me is that it’s an exercise in keeping on keeping on. Are words for the sake of words really worth the effort? I won’t know until I finish a first draft, reread, and then decide. Until the end of the month, I’ll keep on writing.